Expeditions / Assignments
- Participated in jungle expedition to form partnerships between tribal chiefs and members of three remote Wounaan Indian tribes in the Darien Gap Jungle and USA non-profit, “Native Future”. The purpose of the expedition was to initialize an alliance to assist the tribes in legal and political representation to protect their lands from deforestation by ‘Colonos’, Panamanians encroaching upon and destroying Indians lands for illegal logging and farming. The alliances formed on that expedition are currently in place and the USA non-profit is currently working with the Wounaan to protect their lands and culture.
- Provided Military Police (MP) security at Red Cross shelters under State Active Duty while deployed with the Texas State Guard for Hurricane Katrina and Rita.
- Provided on-site Shelter Management support and operations under the FEMA Incident Command Structure (ICS) under State Active Duty while deployed with the Texas State Guard Medical Rangers for Hurricane Gustav and Ike.
- Volunteered for 3 weeks in Jerusalem, Israel as an assistant medic. I worked medical emergency patrol on the Magen David Adom Ambulances and on the Hatzolah motorscooter first responder unit. I also briefly assisted Jeep Patrol Security on the fence in a West Bank Settlement. I also trained with the fire department and responded to an emergency call and extinguished the small fire.
- Coordinated patient flow and medical triage operations in Spanish to local civilians receiving medical treatment in Operation Lone Star 2006 on the TX / MX border.
- Completed 7-day Amazon Jungle Marathon 220+KM. Toughest Foot Race on Earth. Jungle Marathon is an unsupported foot race (extreme ultra-marathon) through the Brazilian Amazon Jungle. Competitors must carry all food and gear (ex. hammock, lights) throughout the race.
- Worked as Pharmacy Technician in Operation Lone Star 2007 under State Active Duty with the TX State Guard Medical Rangers. Worked in capacity as Pharmacist in Operation Lone Star 2008.
- Staff leader / guide for Israel Outdoors / Birthright Israel 10 day journey throughout Israel in January 2009. Another USA leader/guide, local Israeli tour guide, and I guided 35 Americans and 7 Israeli participants ages 20-26 on outdoors focused Judaism trip throughout Israel. Coordinated logistics, social interaction amongst participants, educational/religious programming, and outdoors activities.
- Crew Engineer / Executive Officer on Mars Desert Research Station (MDRS) in Feb/March 2009. MDRS is a simulated Mars habitat that serves as a testbed for field operations studies in preparation for future human missions to Mars. Responsible for maintenance and repair of self-sustaining HAB and all equipment. Repaired spacesuits, water system, radios, generator, ATVs, observatory. Assisted on scientific research experiments by participating in EVAs to collect soil samples to search for extremophiles (halophiles and endophiles), collection and testing of samples for E.Coli, and biology experiments such as Space-Exposed Cinnamon Basil seeds flown on NASA STS-118.
- Conducted patient medical triage, vitals, and medical history in Spanish to civilians receiving medical treatment in Operation Lone Star 2009 with TX State Guard as part of an international Joint Task Force.
- Jungle Wilderness Medic for 2009 Jungle Marathon; extreme 7-day ultra-marathon through the Amazon. Wilderness medical care included IVs, ticks, severe/deathly dehydration, infections, stings, foot care, syncope, blisters, diarrhea, vomiting, jungle evacuations, boat evacuations, and multiple hour seizures.
- Commander / Health & Safety Officer on Mars Desert Research Station (MDRS) in December 2009. Responsible for all mission activities, crew-members, HAB systems engineering, scientific experiments, and coordination with mission control. Also acted as EVA guide for biologist and astrophysicist. Crew experiments included soil collection of hyper-saline evaporates for culturing and DNA extraction and analysis, spectroscopy astronomy, engineering assembly of structures, human factors study, food study, EVA mobility study, greenhouse germination, and water exploration.